I have set for myself a priority list of bugs that bother me in rst2pdf, my tool to convert restructured text into PDFs in order of decreasing shamefulness.
I have been fixing a few today (early morning + late night hack) so the following is now correct:
- Use of included stylesheets
- Vertical spacing of indented lineblocks
- Use of :target: in figure directives
There are 46 open issues but I am not planning on fixing them all. My personal hitlist has 10 more bugs in it, but regardless of how many I fix, I intend to release anyway, because:
- Last release is broken with latest reportlab
- Last release is a bit broken with docutils 0.10 which will be out soon
- Last release was over six months ago
And that last one is the critical one. Working at Canonical has shown me that release cadence is good. Specially in a project where trunk is very rarely broken (like rst2pdf) there is no reason for slow release cycles. Rst2pdf should release monthly.
I fully intend to take that approach, so the next release will be done on December 21st.