Ir al contenido principal

Ralsina.Me — El sitio web de Roberto Alsina

Urssus: July 28th - Cleanup

He­re is the (not rea­ll­y) fu­ll lis­t:

  • Fixes on the in­s­­ta­­ller

  • Fix in im­­po­r­­tO­­­PML

  • Rai­­se the wi­n­­dow when you cli­­ck on the sys­­tray po­­­pup

  • Fixed se­­ve­­ral is­­sues after feed de­­le­­tion

  • Fixed se­­ve­­ral is­­sues wi­­th fee­­ds not up­­da­­ting the UI's un­­read count

  • Fixed the look of bu­­ttons on sea­r­­chWi­­dget and fi­l­­te­­rWi­­dget

  • And se­­ve­­ral mo­­­re...

And the big one:

  • Im­­ple­­men­ted da­­ta­­ba­­se sche­­ma ve­r­­sio­­­ning using sq­­la­l­­che­­m­­y-­­mi­­gra­­te.

What does that mean? That I can chan­ge the da­ta­ba­se and the user wi­ll not no­ti­ce an­y­thin­g.

On star­tu­p, uR­S­Sus che­cks if you are using the co­rrect sche­ma, and up­da­tes your da­ta­ba­se ac­co­rin­gl­y.

For exam­ple, I can now im­ple­ment ma­nual feed sor­tin­g, be­cu­se I need to add a "po­si­tio­n" field to the Feed cla­ss.

If I had not im­ple­men­ted this, that would re­qui­re a mu­ch grea­ter ha­ck.

No­w? I just do it, wri­te an upgra­de/­do­wn­gra­de scrip­t, and tha­t's all. Mi­gra­teis rea­lly a ve­ry cool tool, and sho­ws the stren­gth of using SQ­LAl­che­my (not so mu­ch that ofu­sing Eli­xi­r, be­cau­se they get along gru­dgin­gly ;-)

Cu­rrent LOC coun­t: 1491

Cu­rrent sta­tus: sti­ll fun! (and edu­ca­tio­na­l!)

Cuil, you fail!

Sure, new search en­gine Cuil serch­es "121,617,892,992 web pages". I be­lieve it... maybe.

How­ev­er, I tried a sim­ple test. My name. I know more or less where it ap­pears:

  • My blog

  • My linkedin pages

  • Sev­er­al FLOSS host­ing sites

  • A bazil­lion mail­ing list ar­chives

On google this search gives the ex­pect­ed re­sult­s:


On Cuil? Not so much:


In oth­er word­s, I man­aged to be skipped by Cuil com­plete­ly. All traces of my last 12 years on the In­ter­net? Not seen. That kin­da makes me not too con­fi­dent ;-)

Urssus: July 27th - Released into the wild!

And I am doing it for rea­l:

  • Py­­Pi pa­­ge for ea­s­­y_in­s­­ta­­ll

  • Wo­­­rking in­s­­ta­­lle­­r! (Not qui­­te wo­­­rking for wi­n­­do­­ws, thou­­gh)

  • Most kno­­wn bugs fixed (at least 15 to­­­da­­y)

It has been a ni­ce ex­pe­ri­men­t, and I wi­ll try to wri­te so­me­thing co­he­rent to­mo­rrow about le­s­sons lear­ned and su­ch as we rea­ch my se­l­f-im­po­sed two week dead­li­ne for Ak­re­ga­tor fea­tu­re pa­ri­ty.

Urssus: July 25th (way too late) - new features

Last post for the day, and prob­a­bly un­til mon­day.

  • Fin­ished ex­pi­ra­­tion im­­ple­­men­­ta­­tion (and it works just fine)

  • Fixed a tough bug and now the back­­­ground fetch­er up­­­dates the UI cor­rec­t­­ly

  • Made the tem­­plate lo­­ca­­tion code work cor­rec­t­­ly be­­fore and af­ter in­­stal­la­­tion (thanks to help from PyAr mail­ing list)

  • And the pret­­ty one: cus­­tom CSS file used for all tem­­plates. The de­­fault we­bkit (and kht­m­l, and fire­­fox) CSS is hor­rid. This one is just not pret­­ty, but still an im­prove­­men­t.

And of course, a screen­shot. Akre­ga­tor on the left, uRSSus on the right:


Urssus: July 25th (later) - uRSSus on windows


So you need to in­stall SQLAlche­my 0.4.6 and Elixir 0.5.2 and python and pyqt and paver, and what­ev­er man­u­al­ly right now... it does work.

I had to change about 10 lines, specif­i­cal­ly stuff about tem­po­rary files.

On Lin­ux, I cre­ate a NamedTem­po­rary­File, write to it, then read it from an­oth­er place of the code. As long as I keep a han­dle to the ob­ject that's ok.

On Win­dows, it seems I can't read the file be­cause it's locked by the writer, but if I close it it's delet­ed, so I switched­to mk­stemp and that's it.

Al­so, it does­n't run well from in­side IDLE for some rea­son.

Contents © 2000-2024 Roberto Alsina