Version 1.2 of Nikola, my static site generator and the software behind this very site, is out!
Why build static sites? Because they are light in resources, they are future-proof, because it's easy, because they are safe, and because you avoid lockin.
- Image gallery (just drop pics on a folder)
- Built-in webserver for previews (doit -a serve)
- Helper commands to create new posts (doit -a new_post)
- Google Sitemap support
- A Handbook!
- Full demo site included
- Support for automatic deployment (doit -a deploy)
- Client-side redirections
And of course the old features:
- Write your posts in reStructured text
- Clean, customizable page design (via bootstrap)
- Comments via Disqus
- Support any analytics you want
- Build blogs with tags, feeds, feeds for your tags, indexes, and more
- Works like a simple CMS for things outside your blog
- Clean customizable templates using Mako
- Pure python, and not a lot of it (about 600 lines)
- Smart builds (doit only rebuilds changed pages)
- Easy to extend and improve
- Code displayed with syntax highlighting
Right now Nikola does literally everything I need, so if you try it and need something else... it's a good time to ask!
More info at http://nikola-generator.googlecode.com